September 9, 2011
June 21, 2011
This ancient product is basically ground diatoms (or sea shells) that work by killing many pest insects such as Fleas, Ticks, Ants, Earwigs, Cockroaches, Silverfish, Slugs, Termites, Bedbugs and other crawling insects. All you have to do is sprinkle this on and around your landscape plants and anything bug that walks, slithers or crawls across it dries out and dies quickly. Will not hurt your plants and is non toxic to humans and pets. Can be used both indoor and outdoors. 100% organic and natural control for many of the pests that bug you. Normally $49.95 on sale now for 15% ($42.46)
July 16, 2010
EASY-TO-GROW DELICIOUS MUSHROOMS FOR YOUR HOME
We now carry indoor edible mushroom growing kits. Both children and adults will have fun with these easy-to-grow mushroom kits. You can grow Oyster Mushrooms in your kitchen, which are both nutritious and tasty! This grow system is easy. Simply lay your mushroom bag length wise on a table with morning sun, afternoon shade exposure. Make one 1″ slit on one end of the bag and then cover mushroom bag with a larger clear freezer zip-loc bag, which will stand in an upright position like a dome to help hold humidity in and around your mushrooms. The freezer bag need not be zipped shut, but rather left open on bottom facing side. Every day, once or twice per day, mist the inside of the freezer zip-loc dome and mushroom bag with spring or distilled water to promote higher humidity. You will notice primordia (small mushroom pin heads) forming on the inside of your bag near the sight of your incision, which will grow rapidly once exposed to oxygen. Within 1 week, your oyster mushrooms will be bursting out of your bag, eventually reaching the size of a human fist, possibly larger. You will notice when it is time to harvest because your mushroom will slow growth considerably, and turn from pure white to crème colored. If you can harvest the mushroom cluster just before it turns crème colored, that would be best. Simply take a knife and cut the oyster mushroom stem as close to the base of the bag, near to the incision you made in the bag, in order to harvest the mushroom cluster, without injuring the rest of the culture. Then seal the incision on the bag with a piece of tape to prevent bacteria from entering into the bag. Then, flip the bag upside down, still lengthwise, and make another 1″ incision on the other end of the bag and repeat the same method as used for the first harvest. Once you get your 2nd harvest, flip the bag upside down again (this would be the same side of the bag that the original incision was made), and make another 1″ incision on opposite end of the bag from your original mushroom harvest. Cover with zip-loc dome for the 3rd time and repeat method as described for the first harvest. Ultimately, you can get four harvests per bag if you keep the bag well humidified, which is the biggest secret to success.
Once you have harvested at least 3-4 times on the oyster mushroom bag, there is yet another way you can expand the culture. Its called the straw box culture, which is even easier than bagged mushroom culture. Simply select a used cardboard box, approximately 2′x2′. Then purchase a bale of straw, which is the same straw you would buy if you were seeding and strawing your lawn. Soak the bale in water for 24 hours minimum, by immersing in a big rubber-made container or other water holding vessel. Once thoroughly soaked, grab a single section (flake) of straw, typically a 4″ thick section and pull it apart and pack the loose wet straw about 4″ thick in the bottom of your cardboard box, making sure it is welled packed against sides and bottom. Then, take your used bag of mushroom spawn and open the bag and thoroughly break up the grain spawn block with clean hands. Once mushroom spawn is broken up into grain-like consistency, sprinkle 1/3 of the spawn content a top newly packed wet straw in box. Then, firmly apply a 3″ layer of wet straw on top of the newly sprinkled mushroom spawn layer, followed by another 1/3 contents of mushroom spawn on top of the 2nd packed straw layers, followed by another 3″ layer of packed straw followed by the final spawn layer, and then pack once last 4″ layer of wet straw on the top of the final spawn layer. Close the box lid and cover the box with a trash bag, open end facing towards ground, to create a humidity tent over top of your mushroom grow box, similar to how you used the freezer bag to create a humidity tent a top your mushroom grow bag. Water your mushroom grow box with rain, spring or distilled water once to twice per week to keep the straw moist. The mushroom grow box should be located in an area where you can leave it in one place on the ground or on a table that is okay to get wet during watering. A garage, back porch, balcony, patio or deck works great for growing mushrooms in a cardboard box. Check for mushrooms to start growing through the bottom of the box, after about 6 weeks to 2 months. You will harvest when the mushrooms achieve maturity, similar to the size and color you harvested during bag culture. You will be able to harvest mushrooms in your box for about 2 full months. This straw, once permeated with mushroom mycellium, will turn web-like and white, similar to the way it looked inside your mushroom grow bag. After your grow box slows down, you can used that inonculated oyster mushroom straw spawn to again expand your grow box culture. Or, if you are finished growing mushrooms, just put this high quality mushroom straw spawn in your compost pile and cover with organic matter like partially decomposed leaves or wood chips. If the compost stays moist, you will usually get one more good harvest right out of your compost pile. Just add water to your compost pile 1-2 times per week until mushrooms emerge.
Bon appetite and happy mushrooming!
May 19, 2010
Marvin’s Organic Gardens is proud to announce we have partnered with Nature’s Garden Delivered to provide a weekly co-op program! Through a simple online sign up, you will now be able to pick up fresh local and organic produce, bread, eggs & milk every week at Marvin’s Organic Gardens. Nature’s Garden Delivered will be making a delivery every Saturday to our Garden Center and you will be able to pick up your order between 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. beginning June 5.
It is simple to get started! Follow these step-by-step instructions to receive your fresh weekly produce from Nature’s Garden Delivered at Marvin’s Organic Gardens:
- Visit http://www.naturesgardendelivered.com and click Ohio River Valley
- Click the Sign Up Now box
- The site will prompt you for your zip code. You must enter the zip code for Marvin’s Organic Gardens, which is 45036.
- Choose Box type: You must choose “Brain” box in order for your box to be delivered to Marvin’s Organic Gardens.
- Choose Box size: Tiny, Small, Medium or Large
(Visit Products page to view different box sizes & contents)
- Choose Frequency: pick up a box weekly or every other week
- Choose Start Date: ASAP, next week or the following week
- MOG must be typed in the Subscription Name to be delivered there
- Click Next and enter address for Marvin’s Organic Gardens:
2055 U.S. Route 42 South, Lebanon, OH 45036
- Fill in your personal details (name, contact information, etc.) Click Next.
- Fill in credit card information. Your account will be charged the night of the Saturday that you pick up your box from Marvin’s Organic Gardens.
- You are now signed up! Log on to your account and set your preferences. If there are items you do not like, click “Always Remove.”
Once your account is active you will receive a confirmation email from Nature’s Garden Delivered. Each Friday Nature’s Garden Delivered will send an email letting you know you have an active order in your account. From there, customize your order by logging on and making changes to your box. You have until the Monday prior to the Saturday pick up date to submit changes or cancel the order. Orders are made 2 weeks out.
Nature’s Garden Delivered is also graciously donating surplus boxes of produce to Marvin’s Giving Gardens each week.
What is Nature’s Garden Delivered? Nature’s Garden Delivered (NGD) is an online farmer’s market that makes it possible for local residents to receive the most fresh local and organic produce received within hours of delivery. They offer home delivery or pick up at great local businesses that you already frequent. Nature’s Garden Delivered buys from local sources, which helps the environment by greatly reducing shipping distances. Buying local also gives them the ability to deliver produce which has been harvested just days before you receive it; most of all, buying local supports our local economy.
What’s the benefit of the co-op program? By picking up your order at Marvin’s Organic Gardens, you save approximately 15 percent as compared to having your produce delivered to your home. Help reduce your carbon footprint by going to the store less often and supporting our local growers and organic producers. Nature’s Garden Delivered uses bio-diesel and operates in a zero waste facility. They also deliver their compostable waste to Marvin’s Organic Gardens every week, making our community greener.
Is the co-op cheaper than the grocery store or local farmer’s market? The price per item from Nature’s Garden Delivered is comparable to grocery store and farmer’s market prices. Their service is more economical, green and convenient since you can pick up all your products in one location; it is rare to find a farmer’s market or grocery store that has all of the local and organic produce and bread, eggs, milk and cheese that are offered by Nature’s Garden Delivered.
Do I have to confirm my order by Monday? If you’re an active customer with Nature’s Garden Delivered, your default order is automatic. Call Nature’s Garden Delivered if you miss the Monday deadline at 513-232-FOOD. If you need to cancel or change your order it must be done through them by Monday; otherwise you are set to pick up your box as stated on the invoice email sent from NGD.
Will I receive a reminder before the weekend pick up? Yes. On Friday NGD will send an email reminder that you have an order to pick up on Saturday.
What happens if I forget to cancel or pick up my box? Nature’s Garden Delivered will still charge you for the box. Your order can still be picked up at Marvin’s after your scheduled pick up day but the quality of the produce cannot be guaranteed.
What are Giving Gardens? An idea inspired by the Victory Gardens of World War II, Giving Gardens are an opportunity for us to give back to the community. By growing extra produce at Marvin’s Organic Gardens and in your home garden, we are able to donate the surplus to local food pantries and those in need. Nature’s Garden Delivered will be donating items from their boxes towards this initiative each week.
August 19, 2008
(Saw this in a guide from Whole Foods Market and wanted to share it).
THE BEST REASONS TO CHOOSE ORGANIC PRODUCTS
1. Organic farming meets the needs of the present without compromising the needs of future generations.
2. Growing organically supports a biologically diverse, healthy environment.
3. Organic farming practices help protect our water resources.
4. Organic agriculture increases the land’s productivity.
5. Organic production limits toxic & long-lasting chemicals in our environment.
6. Buying organic supports, small independent family farms.
7. Organic farmers are less reliant on non-renewable fossil fuels.
8. Organic products meet stringent USDA standards.
9. Buying organic is a direct investment in the long-term future of our planet.
10. Organic farmers preserve diversity of plant species.
11. Organic food tastes great.
July 8, 2008
For those of you that don’t know – Marvin’s is more than a nursery. We have a huge garden center, spacious greenhouses, and even on-site compost and mulch bins. This year we have added on a new department to our business. Marvin’s is now offering Cincinnati residents the option to start building green.
So what does it mean to build green? Basically, we are using environmentally safe materials and utilizing better building practices. By building green you are adding quality to your home and/or garden.
Brandon Berning is the Construction Manager for us here at Marvin’s. He comes to us with years of experience under is belt. To set up a FREE consultation with Brandon, just give us a call at 513-932-3319.
June 16, 2008
At Marvin’s Organic Gardens, we are dedicated to safe and natural, lawn and garden practices. We approach plant health and pest control with products and techniques that reduce soil and water pollution, and to minimize health concerns for both humans and wildlife. We continue to introduce new and useful organic gardening products to our garden center shelves so that we can all approach plant health, pest pressures and weed problems naturally and safely. Some of the earth friendly products in our organic gardening arsenal include:
1. Organic 8-3-3 and 3-3-3 Fertilizer – These multipurpose granular fertilizers have a range of short and long-term growth and disease suppressive benefits for lawns, gardens and containerized plants when used at the proper rate. These poultry manure-based fertilizers are easy to spread, reduce the risk of soil and water pollution, and promote healthy lawns and landscapes.
2. Corn Gluten- This natural pre-emergent weed control contains naturally occurring substances that inhibit weed seeds tiny feeder roots when applied to lawns and garden in early spring, late spring and fall. Also, C.G. naturally contains 9% nitrogen which helps promote healthy lawn and landscape growth.
3. Bagged and Bulk Compost- These superb compost blends are an excellent amendment for both garden and container plantings, and help to restore worn out lawns in need of rejuvenation. Compost helps reduce disease incidence in both lawns and gardens, and will loosen compacted clay soils when applied at a ½”-1” rate.
4. Burn Out Weed Control- This safe, fast acting product is for non-selective control of most broadleaf and grass weeds. Burn Out is most affective when applied on warm, sunny days, and can be used to spot treat weeds in lawns, mulch beds, patio, walkways, fence lines and driveways.
5. Milky Spore- An all-natural bacteria-based product for Japanese beetle control developed by the USDA that will not harm beneficial insects, humans or animals. Once applied, Milky Spore can last up to 20 years in your soil controlling Japanese beetle grubs. This safe grub control product can be applied to open lawns, mulch beds, flower and vegetable gardens.
6. Diatomaceous Earth- This safe and affective control for ants, fleas, ticks, slugs, termites, spiders and roaches is derived from fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. This product is so safe that it can be rubbed right into your dog or cat’s fur for flea control. Can be applied around home foundations, around garden plants and in the corners and crevices inside your home.
7. Deer Scram- Our most popular organic granular deer and rabbit scent based repellant works for up to 45-60 days, even when rained on. D.S. has no foul odor to people, but when applied as a protective band at the base of vulnerable plants, will prevent damage to valuable landscape plants and vegetable crops, and also acts as a mild fertilizer.
8. Mycorrhizal CPR-We are proud to introduce this beneficial plant fungi product which helps encourage overall plant health and growth, lessen disease pressures and increases plants drought tolerance when applied around the root system of almost all plants. As the mycorrhizae associate themselves with plant roots, they send out hair-like strands in the soil, which act as siphons to dissolve and facilitate the absorption of many minerals and water essential for healthy plant growth.
9. Fertilome Bt- This naturally occurring biological/microbial insecticide-based spray is intended for control of bagworms, borers, leaf miners and most leaf-eating caterpillars. When larvae eat the treated plant leaves, the Bt bacteria destroys their stomachs, and kills target insects in 1-2 days. It is most effective to apply Bt to young, heavily feeding larvae, and poses no health risk to humans, pets, birds, bees and fish.
10. Mosquito Barrier- When first sprayed, the natural sulfurs kill the mosquitoes that are struck by the spray, afterwards any mosquitoes entering the area detect the garlic sulfurs and avoid the area for 2-4 weeks. The M.B. spray also works well to keep fleas and ticks from your yard, and is entirely safe for humans, pets and wildlife. M.B. is designed for spraying on all plant foliage and areas of standing water.
Stop in today to Marvin’s Organic Gardens to arm your lawn and gardens with our vast arsenal of environmentally safe plant health and pest control products. We have numerous organic gardening products in addition to the abovementioned, and a helpful and friendly staff to answer all your gardening questions. Please mention this article at our garden center to receive 25% off all Ornamental Grasses, Asters, Mums and Ornamental Kale and Cabbage. Go Organic! It’s Only Natural.